This morning, while taxiing out of rainy, grey, and miserable Chicago, I am reminded of why I am high-tailing it to Cabo San Lucas. I will finally be able to wear all the spring fashions I have recently acquired, but (due to the inclement weather) have not been able to wear! “HA”, I say to Mother Nature. “If weather were an outfit, yours would be tres, tres out of season!” But, I digress…. What this sunshine-impaired month has really left us with is one burning question: just what ARE the latest clothing trends for this spring –to-summer season? As expected, I just happen to know all the up-to-date answers…..
1. Maxi-dress/maxi-skirt – May be worn with flats, platforms or strappy sandals. Will easily cover any imperfections on the legs (i.e., varicose veins, pale skin, unshaven legs, etc.), while also keeping them warmer on a cool spring evening.
Tip: If you are petite, (less than 5’4”), best to wear this length with a platform.
2. Capris, bermudas, or short-shorts; all lengths are acceptable this season. Simply wear what length best flatters your legs. An added bonus is that we can custom-cut and roll our straight jeans from last winter to get further wear. I also feel strongly about rocking the color white on the bottom this season—mucho chic!
Tip: Don’t wear your pant at a mid-calf length. Doing so will make your calf appear larger than it actually is.
3. Scarves- tie a silk scarf around your neck and instantly add a pop of color and an unexpected touch of Grace Kelly glam. Veer off the beaten path and try tying one to your handbag or braid one into your hair.
Tip: Tie loosely, like you threw it on, so as not to look dated, i.e. Joanie from Happy Days.
4. Blazer and striped tee – Great way to transition into the season. Wear with any bottom – long or short. Ditch the tee and wear with a maxi tank dress too!
Tip: Wear a bit more fitted and less boxy than last season’s boyfriend jacket.
5. Bracelets, bracelets, bracelets – The only way to accessorize a bare arm! Have fun! Mix and match- even pull out the ones you’ve had since 1975. The more the better!
Tip: Choose one common element throughout when mixing.
6. Platforms/flatforms- This season there’s footwear for Fashionistas of every age. Platforms are not only a great way to add a touch of bold color to your pedicured feet, but can also add a couple of inches of height on those of us who feel, shall we say, vertically challenged. This has saved me $$ I would have spent hemming (but can now spend in Cabo, si?) Tip: Corked bottoms absorb shock adding the comfort factor.
7. White vs. neutrals – Why choose?! For example, wear all white and throw in a brown handbag, gladiators, and layer on the bracelets. Add some drapey pieces to your neutrals for a boho-chic look. Or, try mixing your neutrals with some bold brights for dramatic splash of color.
Tip: To maximize the neutral look, try a rolled-up raw silk cargo pant, adding a snake skin strappy heel.
MEN- It’s time for you to change it up too! Here are a few easy updates (your significant other will be happy, trust me)…
1. Colored khakis- Yes, it’s true, they HAVE finally arrived in the US! For my fashion forward followers, dive in! Wear shades of soft red or royal blue. For those of you who prefer to splash around in the shallow end, stick to a safe light grey.
Tip: If traveling to Europe this year, wear colors, you’ll be right on trend!
2. Jacket with jeans- Please do this!!! Need I say more?! This will take you from the daytime lunch date that unexpectedly lingers into the night.
Tip: Lose the over-sized tee and/or button down. Pair a jacket with a shirt that actually fits! Dark jeans are still preferable.
3. A Fabulous trench coat- Enter the room looking like you are ready to seal any deal (Mont Blanc pen optional). You can sport this with almost anything, just no sports jerseys or wife beaters.
Tip: Try to break the habit of only buying outerwear in neutrals. You can now mix black, brown, grey, navy and khaki. Have fun with your colorful trench! Look smart.
I may not be able to wear everything I packed, but rest assured, I am armed with whites, neutrals, brights, platforms, a scarf on my tote bag, and a bikini for each day of my vacation! Oh, and did I mention my favorite accessories….my best girlfriends at my side to create fabulous memories (and share margaritas)!!
*Co-written with Cabo Gal Pals; who btw are Fabulous Fashionistas|